I once read that kids need 3 presents: something to read, something to wear and something to do. I love the concept and have tried to put it into practice. It can be so easy to over-do it with presents and this framework helps me keep my desire to spoil them in check!
Today's give-away is under the category: something to wear. And it's awesome. Today we are lucky enough to give away a pair of Freshly-Picked Moccasins. You pick the color and size! (In order to win you can not have won Freshly-Picked Moccasins within the last year). I love leather shoes, and with little kids (especially babies!) I love moccasins. When I first saw Freshly-Picked I knew they were beautiful but wasn't sure I could justify spending $60 on little kid shoes (I'm still working to justify spending that on myself!). After getting mine and experiencing the wonderful customer service they provide, I've been won over. They are adorable, high-quality, and worth a little splurge.
To enter a friend into the drawing all you need to do is tag them on instagram or share it with them on facebook.
Now for the something to read category. I have a 9 month old, 2.5 year old and a 5 year old and we read a lot at my house. A few trips to the library and I quickly realized that finding good children's books is really hard. Note to new parents: do not let your kids pick their own books at the library without any of your input/guidance. If you do, you will very likely be reading some brainless blabber for the next few weeks. Let my mistake save you some pain!
Two and Up: Pete the Cat by Eric Litwin (we prefer the ones by Eric Litwin but also like the ones written by James Dean), Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman, Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins, and Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson.
Three and Up: Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney, If you give a cat a cupcake by Laura Numeroff, Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet by Jane O'Connor, Fairy Birds and The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson.
I don't have older kids, but if you do, check out Amazons 100 Childrens books to read your lifetime.
And on to something to wear:
Clothes - I just discovered an etsy shop that does really cute one-of-a-kind clothes - Kindred Oak. I also am in love with all of Bodens children's clothes. And I love this shirt that says "I'm not tired," from Hello.
something to do: I want my kids to create, explore and use their imagination. I take my daughters to a music class and would love to bring some of that magic home with egg shakers, rhythm sticks and a parachute, or I could just buy this melissa and doug music set. My children played with these magformers magnetic building blocks this summer and I would love to get some. I also love Automobloxs and think they are worth the money. My friend Erin also shared with me this dress up website little dress up shop, they have boys and girls costumes and she said they are super comfy.
Shopping for a new or soon to be momma? These are my go to shower gifts: aden+anais (swaddle blanket), Healthy sleeping healthy baby, and Dohm noise maker. I actually think anyone would like the dohm noise maker; it has helped my children and me have a better night's sleep.
I also want a let's playground mat. They just started a kick-starter campaign. You should go and check it out! I would buy it to put under my high chair so that my baby doesn't get all the gross stuff on the floor.
What are you getting for the little one's in your life this Christmas?
- In the spirit of giving, these give-aways work a little differently than is typical. Entering the give-away is simple: all you have to do is tag via (@whitefielddesign) on instagram or share via (https://www.facebook.com/whitefielddesign) on facebook. The twist: the person you tagged/shared with is entered to win.
- Give-away Rules
- -To enter the give-away, entrants must like the give-away company on FB or instagram and on that social media (via the associated Whitefield Design post) share with or tag the person they think would like that gift; winners will be the person tagged or shared with. (Since people are sharing, entries are limitless)
- -Entrants have from the first day of the post till Thanksgiving to enter as many people as they want.
- -Winners must be in the United States and can’t have won a give-away of that item this year.
- -All winners will be announced on Black Friday.